All of us have struggled to decipher the long list of ingredients and recommendations on our food labels. How do we leverage this important information? This course is designed to give you a deeper understanding of labelling standards, along with tips and tricks for estimating healthy portion sizes.
Upon the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understandand summarize food and supplement labels
- Identify the components of a food label
- Appreciate the impact that various ingredients have on our nutritional goals
- Speak intelligently about proper portion sizes
- Use food and supplement labels to explain ingredient impact on nutritional goals
- Communicate about proper portion sizes
The 3 modules included in this online learning course are:
- Module 1 – Understanding Food Labels and Portion Sizes
- Module 2 – Supplement Facts Labels
- Module 3 – Portion Sizes
A brief summary of the module content:
- Module 1: Understanding Food Labels and Portion Sizes
Covers history of food labels, how to read labels, serving size, using the percent daily value, calories and macronutrients, food labels outside the United States, ingredients list, and nutritional claims.
- Module 2: Supplement Facts Labels
Covers nutrient listing on supplement labels, percent daily value, supplement labels outside the United States, and ingredients lists for dietary supplements.
- Module 3: Portion Sizes
Covers serving size versus portion size, portion distortion, portion control, plate size, measuring servings and portions and portion sizing in the UK and EU.
This course includes:
- 3 in-depth lessons covering topics including: food labels, supplement facts labelling and portion sizes
- 2 videos – Reading Food Labels and How to Measure Food
- Visual Learning Aids, including charts and infographics
- Final online exam (15 questions)
|CEUs:||No Continuing Education Credits|